Tuesday, May 13, 2014

White College Girl Drinks Alcohol, Doesn’t Make It a Big Deal


Northeastern University, Friday April 25th. The private research university, located at the crossroads of the vivacious Back Bay and Mission Hill neighborhoods in Boston, is full of bittersweet celebrations for the end of finals week and many a “so long ‘til September” to classmates and friends.

It is not uncommon for American students to celebrate to their fullest potential a few more times before returning to their dreadful, sadistic, offensively underpaying summer jobs chock-full of irate McDonald’s customers and obese mothers-of-seven attempting to locate the grocery section at Wal-Mart.

It seemed like any other final Friday of the semester before the campus cleared out for summer session, but junior Samantha McCarthy was one exception: she consumed alcohol at a party, without voluntarily notifying any non-present friends via social media or texting.

A 2011 study conducted at The University of Washington in Seattle concluded that 98.4 percent of white female American college students “find it ‘highly important to imperative’” to let friends know that they are consuming alcohol. Said the Communications major, “I don’t know what happened. Normally, I text all my friends, send Snap Chat videos, and tweet about it. I just literally like to tell everyone I can. And I usually call a couple friends to tell them that I’m drinking. But this time, I just didn’t feel like it, you know? Like, I literally didn’t even.”

McCarthy underwent psychiatric evaluation at the university’s Health and Counseling Services the following Monday. The psychiatrist could not be reached for comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment